Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sago palms?

I have thirteen Sago's about 30 yrs old. I have one that about 4 years ago it grew an arm kind of like a suajaro cactus. It seems to be robbing life from the main trunk above it. It is about 15" long and 12" in diameter. The question is can I cut this off without destroying the plant? It also has 4 ground level pup's that are now about 20" tall. How many are to many and can they be removed in a manner that they will survive as a transplant? I APPRECIATE ANYONE'S HELP!

Sago palms?
Okay, yes you can cut off all of them if you want to. first step is get a shovel right next to the main trunk and the other plant. Right next to the side of the main trunk with the shovel and be carefull not to hit to much of the main trunk when you are doing this. I do landscape for a living and I done several Sago palms. The last Sago palm that I did it had about 20 to 30 pups, it had three heads it stood about 6' feet tall with trunk and the leaves. It was my mother's Sago palm, I ended up potting up all the pups. My mother gave some to my brother and we sold some to other people that wanted them. I hope this helps you.

miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment