Sunday, May 16, 2010

Can someone explain these vet test results?

Took dog to vet after eating Sago Palm Nuts. Spare me the lecture please I'm already feeling bad enough. I just need some answers. I just got home from the emergency vet.





He was given blood work and his


Liver Enzyme ALT was 384 out of a range of 10-100.


Is this a sign of liver failure or pancreatitis?


On his LaserCyte Test:


His NEU was 13.12 out of a range of 2-12,


His HGB was 22 out of a range of 12-18


His HCT was 65% out of a range of 37-55% and


His MCV was 82.3 out of a range of 60-77.





Could anything else cause this and what does all this mean?

Can someone explain these vet test results?
Here's some info on the ALT:


http://www.liverdisease.com/liverenzymes...





Yes, it indicates liver damage, but it's difficult to interpret the severity.





NEU indicates a slightly elevated level of white blood cells, HGB is the level of hemoglobin, and HCT is the amount of red blood cells, and MCV is the average volume of red blood cells. I would ask your vet about the hematocrit, and whether it's acceptable for your dog's breed and age. Combined with the larger MCV it looks like his RBCs are staying in the bloodstream longer than normal, but I don't know how/whether it relates to the palm nuts. High hematocrit can put undue strain on the heart, and I think it would be worth re-checking later.
Reply:I know nothing about your dogs results...sorry...





but I have had two dogs that have had tumors that burst and had internal bleeding and they were operated on and they had cancer everywhere...





the vet told me that many dogs go that way, because they eat meat and the liver is one organ that doesn't really clean itself that well, because it is the one organ that cleanses the body...and that is how many dogs go...cancer of the liver...





I don't know what sago palm nuts are or what they do to dogs...





I'm sorry I don't have good news, but maybe your dog may have something different or something that is fixable...lets hope so... wishing you and you pet all the best...

ben

No comments:

Post a Comment